Wednesday, June 1st to Thursday, June 2nd
Branding has devolved into little more than a visual style guide that links all the ads in a campaign to each other. Branding – as it is taught today – will at best cause people to remember you and have a mild opinion.
Unlike branding, bonding is the beginning of relationship, the essence of loyalty and the foundation of community among human beings.
Bonding, when done properly, makes people feel connected to you.
Bonding creates community – surrogate family – connectedness – relationship – belonging.
When we talk about “community” in marketing, always remember: We buy what we buy to remind ourselves – and tell the world around us – who we are.
“I am irresistible, I say, as I put on my designer fragrance. I am a merchant banker, I say, as I climb out of my BMW. I am a juvenile lout, I say, as I down a glass of extra strong lager. I am handsome, I say, as I don my Levi’s jeans.”
– John Kay
- The first thing we’re going to teach you is how to choose a personality for your brand. This is the most important step – the vital step – in customer bonding.
The personality you craft for your brand during the opening session of this workshop will guide you through every other step in the process. You’re going to have a very real imaginary character on your shoulder whispering into your ear.
It’s really a lot of fun.
But let me make this clear: we’re not going to do any of this for you. We’re going to guide you through a series of choices. You’ll have to make those choices on your own… with the help of your very real imaginary friend.
After lunch, we’ll spend the afternoon of Day One taking you through the steps of traditional branding. But the way we do it is cool. You’ll choose
- a font for all your communications
- a color palette (We’ve enlisted the greatest artists in the history of the world to help you. This session is going to rock your world.)
- a layout template
- an icon style (Photos? Illustrations? Sketches? Cartoons?)
These will be the basis of your visual style guide.
On the morning of Day 2 we’ll guide you through the additional steps of Robust Branding
- a literary style guide including “brandable chunks” (memorable phrases repeated often.)
- an auditory style guide. (music, voices, sound effects) This is when we start playing with nitroglycerin.
You might recall that music – one of the elements in your auditory signature – is one of the four most powerful and dangerous decisions in marketing. The wizard discussed these briefly in his second book, Secret Formulas of the Wizard of Ads, in a chapter called Nitroglycerin. In this class we’re going to teach you when and how to use each of these explosive elements in your quest for customer bonding:
- Music (What makes a jingle memorable? Should my ads have music or not?)
- Humor (Humor marketing – when well done – is both powerful and difficult to ignore.)
- Testimonials (We’ll teach you to make them believable.)
- Dialogue (This type of writing is a high-wire act without a net. We’ll teach you what you need to know.)
- We’ll wrap up this 2-day workshop by teaching you the specific elements required for creating community – building a tribe of customers who feel connected to each other… and to you.
The times aren’t changing.
They’ve already changed.
Bonding is the language of successful marketing today.
Attend this class and learn to speak it.
This workshop will be led by Roy H. Williams
You can register here, online, or call vice chancellor Daniel Whittington at 512-720-8801