Tuesday, January 26th, 2021
9:30AM to 4:30PM CT
“…No matter who or what I am, if I can persuade any considerable group that I am honest and that my honesty is practically expressed in my business and in my product, I am in a fair way to build a substantial clientele.”
— Advertising Legend Theodore F. MacManus
Why Origin Stories?
The Big Three Challenges facing almost all advertisers and would-be brand builders are:
- Getting People to Pay Attention to the Ad — How to keep them from tuning out, physically or mentally
- Getting People to Believe You — How to overcome skepticism aimed towards anything and everything claimed in an ad
- Differentiating Your Brand From Competitors — How to create a reason to choose you when competitors can easily copy your claims
Fortunately, smart advertisers have multiple tools to overcome each of these challenges.
But the one tool that’s most effective at overcoming all three challenges at once is the Origin Story.
People naturally empathize with stories of sacrifice, turning points, and self-identity, and a good Origin Story will include all of those elements, overcoming your audience’s natural tendency to ignore and tune out ads.
When you tell people the emotional itch you are compelled to scratch, so that they understand the reason why you do what you do in the way that you do it, they’ll move from presuming selfish motives behind your actions to believing in your mission.
And while you might not be able to create unique claims for your business, your personal story will always be unique, as well as uniquely un-copyable. Telling your story will naturally differentiate your business, even if you’re selling a commodity.
One tool handles all three challenges.
Who Should Use Origin Stories?
Have you ever found yourself working with a client who tells you that his biggest differentiator is that he really cares?
As a business owner, have you ever found yourself thrown back on that same truism — that you actually care in ways that most of your competitors don’t?
The truth is that this is one of the most profound things you can communicate in your advertising.
You just have to write an ad that’ll make people believe it, rather than merely saying it as a copy point.
And Origin Stories do that.
They make people believe that you care about your mission more than money.
Presuming, of course, that you actually do.
If you’re just in it for the money, this ain’t the advertising strategy for you.
But for anyone else, it’s one of the single most powerful advertising techniques you can learn.
What You’ll Learn
And this course will teach it to you in a straightforward, step by step manner.
By the end of the course, you’ll know:
- The three character virtues you must establish in an effective Origin Story
- The three ways to establish an emotional driver behind your mission
- Why Mission is more important than Super Power when telling your Origin Story
- Why seemingly “throw away” personal details can turbocharge your results
- How to identify and recognize potential emotional points of connection with your audience
- Why vulnerability and embarrassment can act like persuasive dynamite for Origin Stories
- The most powerful way to end your Origin Story
- How Rocky can help you connect with your ideal customers
- When and How to Use Flashbacks and Dialogue in your Origin Story
- When NOT to use an Origin Story
- When to create a character rather than using the owner/yourself
- How to turn your Origin Story into an ongoing saga
- How to turbocharge your results through metafiction
- The persuasive power of symbols, rituals, and artifacts
Course Details & Logistics
This is a one-day virtual class held over zoom, scheduled for January 26.
Class limit will be 18 people to ensure each student gets ample feedback on his or her writing and storytelling.
This class will be interactive and students will be actively practicing and employing the techniques and strategies taught.
The goal is to walk away from the class proficient with this new persuasive tool in your advertising tool box.
The class will be equally applicable to business owners and marketers alike.
1 day – 9:30am to 4:30pm CST
(Academy alumni receive a 50 percent discount.)
This class is taught by Jeff Sexton.